All ACENET users are required to renew their accounts on an annual basis. This provides us with data on your research activities that we need to report to our funders, and ensures unused accounts are inactivated and secured.
In previous years, ACENET has done this renewal and data collection itself. Beginning in 2012, Compute Canada has launched its own renewal process. To avoid duplication of effort, ACENET will now rely on the national Compute Canada process for renewal of its accounts.
When do I renew?
- On the anniversary of the creation of your Compute Canada account, you will get an email from Compute Canada notifying you of the need to renew and with links to the process. From the date of that email, you have 2 months to complete the renewal process.
- Even without receiving an email from Compute Canada, you are able to renew your account at any time by following this link.
- Your next renewal will be one year from the date of completion of your last renewal.
What do I report?
- If you are a Project Leader (a university faculty member) you will be asked to confirm your contact information, provide some information about your research success over the past year, and confirm which user accounts you wish to continue to sponsor.
- If you have a sponsored account (typical of graduate students or research staff) you need only confirm your contact information and your desire to renew your account.
What happens if I don't renew?
- If no action is taken by your renewal deadline (2 months after first notification) your Compute Canada account (and your ACENET login) will be deactivated.
- If you are a Project Leader and do not renew, your sponsored accounts will also be suspended at the deadline. In order for an account to remain active, both the account owner and the sponsoring Project Leader must renew.
- Four months after the renewal deadline has passed and an account has been deactivated, any data stored on the account may be permanently deleted.
I've forgotten my Compute Canada password
- You can reset your password and have your information emailed to you by following this link.
- If you have any questions about your Compute Canada account or the renewal process, don't hesitate to contact us.
Reactivate an expired account
- If you decided to renew your account after it expired, reactivation can be done by completing your renewal at the Compute Canada web site here.
- You will have to let us know once you have completed the renewal process with Compute Canada so we can reinstate it manually.
Moving to a new group
If you already hold an ACENET account but are changing to work with a new supervisor, your new supervisor will sponsor you at Compute Canada and you should receive a new Compute Canada Role Identifier. When this happens, you should consult with both your former and new supervisor to ensure there are no problems with the intellectual property represented by the files in your ACENET account. When all files have been properly copied, deleted, or otherwise disposed of, then write to firstname.lastname@example.org asking for a group change. Have your former supervisor write to email@example.com at the same time indicating that we may change the group-ownership of the files in your account from his or her group to your new group.
Supervisors should also read What You Should Do Before Your Students Leave.